The Used

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Used

Post by Critical Acclaim on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:22 am

L-R: Jepha, Dan(drummer), Bert, Quinn

L-R: Bert, Dan, Quinn, Jepha

Wikipedia Biography

The Used is an American rock band from Orem, Utah. Their sound has been classified under many sub-genres of rock. They signed with Reprise Records in late 2001 and rose to fame in June 2002 after releasing their debut self-titled album, The Used. They followed up with their second album, In Love and Death, in September 2004 and their third album, Lies for the Liars, in May 2007. An EP, Shallow Believer, was released in February 2008 that featured most of the band's B-sides to date. They have spent the entire year of 2008 working on their fourth studio album, which is to be released in early 2009. The band has achieved both Gold and Platinum statuses in more than 6 countries worldwide

Mini Biography

Hailing from a small town in Utah, The Used are considered to be one of the best Emo-Punk bands on the scene. Discovered by John Feldmann of Goldfinger, he recorded their demo and got them signed. The Used is comprised of front man Bert McCraken, guitarist Quinn Allman, bassist Jeph Howard and recently joined drummer Dan Whitesides.

-----------

The members of the Used had to overcome poverty, homelessness, and substance abuse, not to mention the straight-laced attitudes of their hometown of Orem, UT, to bring their screamo-tinged brand of post-hardcore to life. But they persevered and earned a contract with Reprise Records, releasing their self-titled debut album in June 2002.

Having only played a handful of shows around Orem prior to their record's release, the band -- vocalist Bert McCracken, guitarist Quinn Allman, bassist Jeph Howard, and drummer Branden Steineckert -- began relentless nationwide touring that quickly saw their fan base multiply. Club dates soon turned into successful stints on larger-scale festival/package tours including the Warped Tour, Ozzfest, and Projekt Revolution alongside Linkin Park and Snoop Dogg.

In the summer of 2003, the Used issued the introspective CD/DVD Maybe Memories, which contained unreleased songs, live material, behind-the-scenes footage, and more. Their official sophomore offering showed up in September 2004 as In Love and Death, and the guys hopped on the first incarnation of the Taste of Chaos tour early the next year. Around that time, they also recorded a version of the Queen classic "Under Pressure" with My Chemical Romance to benefit victims of the devastating tsunami of December 2004. Boasting a fuller sound, In Love and Death peaked at number six on Billboard's Top 200 and the Used continued touring behind it worldwide.

Outside of the band, McCracken has also lent his vocals to the punk rock drum troupe Street Drum Corps. As the Used readied their third album, Steineckert parted ways with the group over creative differences in early fall 2006 (he went on to join Rancid). The live CD/DVD Berth appeared in February 2007 to tide over fans a bit longer until the proper full-length, Lies for the Liars, came out in May. Though he didn't perform on the record, drummer Dan Whitesides joined the band as an official member just in time for the supporting tour. ~ William Ruhlmann & Corey Apar, All Music Guide

so throw me down, tie me up, show me that you like me
Critical Acclaim
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 22547
Favourite Band : MCR, McFly, BFMV, A7X
Favourite Bands Best Song : House of Wolves, Friday Night, Just another star, Beast and the Harlot
Line/Quote: : What the hell!? How does he get that in there?
How much you like the site :
75 / 10075 / 100

Registration date : 2008-01-10

http://rpgfictionaddicts.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: The Used

Post by Critical Acclaim on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Current members

• Bert McCracken — lead vocals, keyboard/piano (2001-present)
  • Quinn Allman — guitar, backing vocals (2001-present)
  • Jeph Howard — bass, backing vocals (2001-present)
  • Dan Whitesides — drums (2006-present)

Former members

• Branden Steineckert— drums, backing vocals during live performance - Kicked out of the band in August 2006. (2001-2006)

Temporary members

• Dean Butterworth — drums - Recorded drums for Lies for the Liars and most songs on Shallow Believer after Branden was kicked out. (2006-2007)
  • Greg Bester — guitar - Played with the band on tour in early 2000s. (2002-2003)

Critical Acclaim
Admin
Admin

Favourite Bands Best Song : House of Wolves, Friday Night, Just another star, Beast and the Harlot
75 / 10075 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical Acclaim on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Discography.
Studio albums

• 2002: The Used

1. "Maybe Memories" – 2:55
  2. "The Taste of Ink" – 3:28
  3. "Bulimic" – 3:20
  4. "Say Days Ago" – 3:17
  5. "Poetic Tragedy" – 3:44
  6. "Buried Myself Alive" – 4:02
  7. "A Box Full of Sharp Objects" – 2:56
  8. "Blue and Yellow" – 3:21
  9. "Greener with the Scenery" – 3:37
  10. "Noise and Kisses" – 2:49
  11. "On My Own" – 2:43
  12. "Pieces Mended" – 3:13

Hidden tracks
"Pieces Mended" ends at 3:13 but after 4 minutes and 30 seconds of silence plays two hidden tracks and continues to 11:00. The hidden tracks are: "Polly" which is a hooker singing to Bert (video footage of this can be seen on the Maybe Memories DVD), and the other hidden track is a b-side titled "Choke Me" (also on Shallow Believer).

• 2004: In Love and Death
  • All songs written by The Used, except where noted.

1. "Take It Away" – 3:37
  2. "I Caught Fire" – 3:24
  3. "Let It Bleed" – 3:10
  4. "All That I've Got" – 3:58
  5. "Cut Up Angels" – 3:47
  6. "Listening" – 2:46
  7. "Yesterday's Feelings" – 2:48
  8. "Light With a Sharpened Edge" – 3:30
  9. "Sound Effects and Overdramatics" – 3:28
  10. "Hard to Say" – 3:29
  11. "Lunacy Fringe" – 3:40
  12. "I'm a Fake" – 4:06

Reissue bonus tracks

• "Under Pressure" – 3:31 (Originally by David Bowie and Queen; performed with My Chemical Romance; "I'm a Fake" is 8:00 on this release, containing about 4 minutes of silence leading into this track)

• 2007: Lies for the Liars

• 2009: Artwork

Last edited by Critical Acclaim on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Critical Acclaim
Admin
Admin

75 / 10075 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical Acclaim on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:04 pm

x

Critical Acclaim
Admin
Admin

75 / 10075 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum